Policies to address violent extremism are most effective when they are globally informed and locally grounded.
The Global Center is a leading expert, partner, and implementer of global efforts to counter terrorism and prevent violent extremism. We advise and support governments and regional and international organizations like the United Nations to foster transparent debate, shape policy, and assess the effectiveness of multilateral security efforts.
Our multilateral engagement draws directly from our programming and our partnerships with community leaders, justice advocates, and activists around the world.
We strive to ensure that security policies are rooted in the lived experiences of diverse civil society partners, grounded in evidence, and aligned with international human rights standards.
The Global Center has advised over 150 governments and multilateral organizations in the design and implementation of policies and practices to counter terrorism and prevent violent extremism. Through all of this work, we place emphasis on promoting human rights, protecting and promoting civic space, and advancing rule-of-law based approaches.
- We convene current and incoming UN Security Council members for an annual meeting to facilitate the exchange of substantive and procedural matters of the Counter-Terrorism Committee, which is the Security Council body responsible for matters related to terrorism.
- We host interactive roundtable discussions on substantive issues and developments related to violent extremism, terrorism, and human insecurity with representatives from regional and multilateral organizations, local and national governments, civil society, and the private sector.
- We produce in-depth analysis and expert policy briefs to bridge the counterterrorism experiences of member states around the world and the norm-setting work of member state representatives to the United Nations on issues spanning artificial intelligence, rehabilitation and reintegration, and gender equity within global security policy.
The Global Center works with various global actors to foster multilateral security efforts.
- We strengthen coordination and cooperation across regional and multilateral bodies, UN member states, civil society organizations, the private sector, academia, and other experts.
- We ensure that civil society leaders, local actors, and practitioners have direct access to multilateral policymaking forums to share their insights and highlight needs and gaps.
Gender and Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism Policy Toolkit
The Global Center is proud to share the Gender and Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism Policy Toolkit, which it developed for Global Counterterrorism Forum with support from the governments of Australia and Indonesia. This Toolkit provides practitioners and policymakers alike with relevant frameworks, good practices, and resources for designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating gender-responsive policies and programs that address violent extremism.
Header photo credit: UN Photo/Rick Bajornas